Public restrooms are integral and highly used spaces within every facility. Majority of visitors always uses the toilet, and therefore contribute to facility image. Because restrooms are such an important component of a building’s design, they require durable commercial floor coatings that can resist daily wear-and-tear, as well as harsh chemical cleaners. Hence, epoxy flooring toilet is one of the most preferred floor coating which meets these requirements.
What to look out for in Toilet / Bathroom flooring
The right bathroom floor coverings is able to help minimize maintenance. A restroom floor surface should:
- Avoid grout lines for easy maneuvering of wheelchairs, baby carriages and strollers
- Have high tractability when wet, yet be smooth enough to accommodate easy cleaning
- Be antimicrobial, sanitary, hygienic, discourage growth of pathogens and fungi
- Offer a floor-to-wall cove base option to prevent dirt build-up in corners and facilitate cleaning
- Have the ability to withstand sanitizers, detergents and cleaners
- Be able to accommodate heavy foot traffic
- Offer slip-resistance in case of any water spillage that stays on floor until next maintenance
Types of Epoxy Floor Coating for Toilet
The following are the three basic types of epoxy floor coating.
- Solvent Based Epoxy
Solvent based epoxy is one of the traditional kind of epoxy. The epoxy is mixed with a relatively high amount of organic compound called a solvent that eventually dries up and evaporates when the epoxy is applied, leaving a hard epoxy coating on the floor.
- Water Based Epoxy
The next type of epoxy is the water based epoxy. As its name applies, it is a type of epoxy that is water soluble and uses water as its main carrier. These types are not as reactive as solvent based epoxies, and are therefore safer.
- 100% Solids Epoxy
The last kind of epoxy tries to completely do away with a fluid carrier, and is just pure epoxy. It is called the 100% solids epoxy. While it avoids the environmental problems that solvent-based or waterborne epoxies have, it is much harder to apply.
Advantages of Epoxy Floor Coatings
Epoxy floor coatings offer many advantages when compared to other traditional coatings applied over concrete.
- Epoxy coatings will create a shiny high gloss surface.
- It offers a hard wearing durable surface able to withstand heavy and continuous traffic.
- Epoxy floors are really fast and easy to install.
- Durable and easy to clean.
- Ideal for warehouses and industrial applications.
- Resists oil stains, beads water, and wipes super clean and will create a seamless surface.
- Epoxy floor can last several years.
Hence, most people who understands about the advantages of epoxy floor coatings, would appreciate the benefits for epoxy toilet flooring. Besides epoxy terrazo, seamless epoxy and metallic epoxy flooring, toilet is also commonly applying epoxy in a residential house.